Thursday, January 8, 2009

Sacrifice & Restoration

A few days ago I imagined Jesus standing in front of an altar. He was passionately admonishing all those listening to remember or understand more fully the sacrifice He made for us, in assuming a human identity and giving His life for us. It was no small thing. What His decision cost Him is probably not fully understood by mankind in the slightest.

I was raised Catholic, so the image of a suffering Jesus on a cross is nothing new. Over the years one can almost become desensitized to this image.

What Jesus did for us is not an accessory we wear like a badge or an adorning piece of jewelry. His act cost Him everything, and this sacrifice was necessary for uniting mankind back to personal relationship with God. He gave His very life, and this sacrifice becomes our life if we receive it as such. In Catholic circles I have heard an individual’s acceptance of Christ’s sacrifice called a “conversion” experience. In Protestant circles one might hear the words “born again” or “saved”.

Yes, there are abuses, cultural clichés, and a lack of true understanding of what these words actually mean. But, it doesn’t take away the fact that yes, Jesus requires each of us to make the same sacrifice and share in His sufferings to become united to God for eternity. There is no other way this is accomplished. Eating His flesh and drinking His blood in the form of bread and wine should remind us of the seriousness of the covenant we have made with Him. I’m sure for many it does.

As I think back I remember the struggle and confusion in my heart regarding the decision I was about to make. I knew back then it wasn’t a light one and it would cost me everything, but also, I knew there was no other way. My confusion stemmed from the fact that I wanted truth and intimacy with God, but I didn’t want in any way to be a part of the culture I seemed suddenly surrounded with. In my thinking at the time, I felt that to accept Jesus fully was to as well accept the interpretation of others regarding His true nature. I write “fully” because I had always believed in Jesus since I was a child, but I didn’t understand the fullness of the gospel message.

I remember the exact moment where, in my heart I gave a full surrender to God. It must have been something like what Jesus felt when He submitted His will to God in the garden. I remember the emotional pain. I also remember a final letting go and that the room seemed to fill with light. I felt something supernatural was happening.

Every day I feel the sting of the sacrifice in my own life as a result of choosing to drink His cup. This comes in many ways as I am changed daily through the things I suffer. I also feel a glorious intimacy with Him and all of heaven, which could never have been realized by any other means. God can take us places we never thought possible, or more beautiful than we feel we are ever promised.

To illustrate I would like to share a dream I had once:

I was locked in one of three closets that were in the bedroom of my parents. My parents have three children. Suddenly, the door of my closet opened and I was free. As I walked out of the closet, I proceeded to walk down a long staircase just off the bedroom. When I got to the bottom of the steps I was standing in an ancient Roman garden in ruins. I could see pottery shards in the overgrown weeds that were bright blue and gold in color. I could tell just by looking at the shards that the pieces were quite beautiful at one time. There was also a fountain crumbling in the center of the garden. As I stood there looking at the scene I was completely overwhelmed. I knew I was given the job of restoring this garden, but felt helpless to do it alone. Just then, a group of people who had been standing behind me moved forward to stand next to me at my right and left side, and I knew that ultimately I wouldn’t be alone.

I knew from this dream I was being shown the beauty God wanted to ‘restore’ to my generational line. I assumed there was some sort of originally intended purpose in Him that had been lost. It certainly is not a task for the faint at heart. But, see what we can be shown if we surrender to Him? I would have never imagined such a thing without God. The sacrifice of Jesus was for the purpose of restoration, and so it is with us as well.

"Death is swallowed up in victory.
Oh death, where is your victory?
Oh, death, where is your sting?"

1 comment:

Life Is Beautiful said...

Well posted Cheri. Suffering comes in many forms to many people, not imposed by God, but endured out of love for Him and others. It is necessary, as we live in a world that suffers but avoids working through suffering as a means of growth. The Christian will not turn his/her face from suffering or from uncomfortable situations, because they know the Cross is not the end, but a necessary means. It may get heavy, especially if it is sometimes borne for others that avoid theirs, but Resurrection and sweetness follow.