Friday, January 2, 2009

I Will Rise to Meet You

I had an experience earlier this afternoon that causes me to reflect once again on the amazing love and majesty of God. I was in a store picking up things I needed, and this image and statement came to me in a flash within my heart and mind: Jesus was sitting on a throne, and as He stood up and looked toward me He said, “I will rise to meet you.”

I was a bit surprised as I was not expecting this at all. But, behind the normal routine of life I feel I have been lead into the desert so that He may speak to me more clearly. While life moves forward and there are good things happening, I feel as well that I am being stripped of all needless baggage and being led to a lonely place for a time.

It seems to me that a process that was started earlier this autumn is continuing with more intensity and increased speed. Many situations have converged at once to clear the path ahead I believe. It is true that while there is a part of me that would like for things to continue on as they are, I know they simply cannot. It is also true that I have held on to certain things far too long.

While Jesus walked in the flesh, He was very present and aware of everyday existence. At the same time, He was intensely focused on accomplishing His eternal mission. He had strong words in regard to those who desired to follow Him:

To another he said, “Follow me.” But he said, “Lord, let me first go and bury my father.” But he said to him, “Leave the dead to bury their own dead; but as for you, go and proclaim the kingdom of God.” Another said, “I will follow you, Lord; but let me first say farewell to those at my home.” Jesus said to him, No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for the Kingdom of God. (Luke 9: 59-62)

In the process of letting go of all that besets us as we walk toward God, He meets us half way and comes toward us with passionate, loving expectancy. He is not content to simply sit and wait for us in such a nonchalant manner as if He had better things to do.

His invitation costs us nothing less than everything, but in return we gain the fullness of relationship with Him who is the author of all creation and a God who is absolute perfection in love, for now, and all of eternity.

Amen.

3 comments:

Life is Severe said...

Yes, it can be Colleen. When we make hard decisions....it is so comforting that God rises to meet us. He does carry us.

Thank you for your comment....

Life Is Beautiful said...

What a great and humble God we have! The King rises to meet His people. It's all so beautiful. I feel like a teenager in love with Love

Life is Severe said...

Pip....that's exactly what it felt like when I saw this image! He was showing me His passion and love for us. How beautiful you picked up on that.