Sunday, September 21, 2008

"You must protect the few roses in life."

I have a particular affinity toward flower gardens. I think flowers are magnificent in beauty and rich in symbolism. There is no end to what gardens and flowers can symbolize in regard to spirituality and religious faith.

Of all flowers, the rose is simply my favorite. I think I must be drawn to it for a reason. If I ever have a house or property of my own I would like to grow a rose garden. It symbolizes so much that is the core of who I am as a person. Words are sometimes not enough to convey the depth of the human heart, and this is why symbols are so vitally important. This is the reason for art I believe, and God our creator is quite simply the ultimate artist. God is brilliant in His wisdom in that the whole world is filled to the brim with rich symbolism in all that He has created, there is more than meets the eye in regard to created things. An oak tree is not simply a tree , or a dove a bird.

I have realized over time as an artist myself, relating to objects as symbols or symbolic gestures seems to be second nature to me. For example, I can't help but notice a child who naturally starts spinning in dance when we are listening to music together. I have encountered this a number of times with the children I have cared for...and I get it completely. It is natural to them. The universe is circular in movement. I was once told by a musician that it was discovered by physicists that music notes actually ascend upward in a circular/spiral motion, and that there are notes that humans have never even heard or discovered. So, when I see a child start to naturally spin in response to the music they are hearing.....I immediately think of the motion of the universe. There is even more to this, but I'll leave at that for now.

I had a dream once that I believe was one of the "big" ones of my life, and I would like to share it. I do believe this particular dream was given to me as a message to heed for the rest of my life. It was beautiful and timeless in its message, and rich in symbolism.

The dream started with a scene of me watching a group of young boys in line going to some sort of religious camp. Their camp director was an 'Assembly of God' pastor and the boys themselves were 'Baptist'. They were being forced down a hill toward the camp, as well as being forced to drink a health drink that was bitter in taste. I was hovering above them watching all of this, and I felt sorry for them. There was such a sense of helplessness and a feeling of these boys being trapped. I could not help them, though I wanted to. I walked away from this scene and suddenly came to a single, simple white house on a little hill. The sun was shining brightly, and the grass was so green and went for miles. There was a moment of peace, but I quickly sensed danger coming toward me although I could not see it yet. I entered the house and found a Catholic priest lived in the home alone. I looked out the window and saw a group of young men running toward us with a war cry...and I knew they meant to cause us harm. I kept thinking they were fraternity brothers for some reason. They all had white t-shirts on as well, which is interesting. Suddenly this priest and I started running around the house and shutting and locking all the doors and windows as a means of protection. When all was well and we were safe, the priest took me to an 'inner room' in the house and I knew that this was his personal space where he came to be alone. I was amazed to find brilliant art work everywhere, and a black leather recliner in the middle of the room. He was listening to one of my favorite musicians, Peter Gabriel (a lot of symbolism there if I may say so :)). He turned to look at me and said the only words spoken to me in the dream, "You must protect the few roses in life." And the dream was over and I woke up.

I had this dream almost ten years ago...and have told only a few close friends up to this point. I would be most interested in any additional thoughts anyone would have regarding the dream. It still seems like I had it only yesterday.

So, what are the roses in life that need protecting? I think this is a personal matter for everyone, and this dream was showing me what I should protect personally.

However, I believe it is also a universal message in scope regarding the present day Church. I quote.......,

"Catholic is an adjective derived from the Greek adjective 'katholikos', meaning "general" or "universal. In the context of Christian ecclesiology it has a rich history and several usages. Roman Catholics use the term "Catholic Church" to refer to the Church whether Western or Eastern, in full communion with the Bishop of Rome. The Catholic Church views catholic as referring to her attempts to spread throughout the whole earth, and her insistence to offer salvation to all people and cultures at all times. Catholic is one of the Four Marks of the Church, the other being unity, sanctity, and apostolicicity."

As our Nicene Creed states, "I believe in one, Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.

What I find so amazing in the dream, is that the Catholic Church is likened to a rose that must be protected. I don't believe this "message" if you will, was simply for my life, but it can be for all who seek rest and stability in their walk with Jesus. God's truth is universal, but we live in a world where not all are following His ways at the moment obviously. Even those that have acknowledged Christ can be lead or lead others astray as well, even if it is well meaning but misguided. As the symbols convey in the dream, there are many who will seek to attack and force their own agenda on anyone who will listen and follow. This is especially dangerous regarding the truth of following Christ.

I will end this post sharing an experience I had once:

Many years ago I was in distress trying to make a decision about a certain matter. I went to a church service, and there was a time for personal prayer requests after the main service was over. A women that I did not know, and who knew nothing of my dilemma came up to me and very gently but quickly whispered in my ear, "God does not force Himself on you", and then she quickly walked away. I never found out who she was.

No comments: