Sunday, September 14, 2008

Simplicity of Love


I've been pondering the significance of simplicity recently. It gives me cause to think of Jesus and his focus on simplicity in Matthew 10:42. "And whoever gives to one of these little ones even a cup of cold water because he is a disciple, truly, I say to you, he shall not lose his reward."

It also gives me cause to think back to my Confirmation when I was trying think of what name I would choose. It seemed everyone was picking Mary or Elizabeth. I chose Veronica. I remember wanting to choose a name that had a personal meaning to me. I was always moved as a child by the image of Veronica wiping the face of Jesus when He fell under the weight of His cross. That simple act had so much meaning and significance for me. It was as if I could identify with Veronica's compassion, and urgency that she just had to get to Him to offer some sort of comfort. I would imagine myself as Veronica kneeling to wipe his face, and wondering how He would have looked at me. In my heart, it is the simplicity of the act that makes it truly great.

I now imagine two people standing side by side in heaven. One is a martyr perhaps, and the other might have indeed given a cup of cold water to a child, that's all. Which act deserves the greater reward? Perhaps some might be inclined to think that the martyr should receive a special reward for his brave act. It is neither really in my opinion. Because what it really comes down to is the condition of the heart in which the act was done. I don't think there are any 'proud' martyrs in heaven. A cup of cold water given from a heart bursting with compassion, is far more significant than giving up a life for any other reason. So, I suppose another way to say it is, no matter how "great" an act is, was it done with simplicity of heart, a heart of love?

"So faith, hope, love, abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love." (1 Corinthians 13:13)

"Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." (John 15:13)

And finally........
"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God." (Matthew 5:8)
And since we know God is Love....

Purity of heart is a heart of love, and it is a simple thing.

No comments: